Sunday, March 23, 2008

WHERE WE ARE NOW

Right now I am in training for the Flying Pig Marathon on May 5th. This will be the fourth time I have run the full Pig. I did run a two person relay one year. I have run one other marathon, which was the Vermont City Marathon – but that can be the subject of another post.

I am into the meat of the training right now. I just finished a 50+ mile week of training with a long run of 16 miles. I am using a modified “moderate consistent” plan from the Hanson training group.

The modification has been to fit my work and family schedule. My work schedule dictates that the only time I can really run is in the early morning hours before work. I am usually up by 4:20am and on the road by 5:00am. I get 6 to 8 miles in and then rush to get out the door for work by 7am. The weekends are a little easier, but with four kids all in different activities, I do not have time for much more that 16 miles. I also take Sunday off so that I can go to church. This makes the moderate consistent plan ideal for me.

Next Sunday I am running the Heart Mini-Marathon in Cincinnati. This year I will be running the “Two Beat Challenge” which means I will be running a 5K at 9:00am and then running the 15K race at 10:00am. This fits well with my training schedule, but my only worry is that I do not go too fast and treat it as a race rather than a training run. I will give a race report next week.

Ok, so now we have the background out of the way and in future posts we can get into some more of the fun stuff.

No comments: